Re: [Asrg] 2. - Spam Characterization - Possible Measurements (wa s : RE: Two ways to look at spam)

2003-07-10 05:12:37
Barry,

BS> This relates to the idea that the only reason spammers can operate
BS> effectively is because they exploit thousands of hijacked computers
BS> which gives them location mobility (not geographic but in ip space.)

I think your line of reasoning is aided by a distinction I've taken to
making, between "rogue" spammers -- who are not accountable and for
which direct controls are not feasible -- versus "responsible" spammers
-- who are accountable, but too aggressive.

The path you are discussing pertains to rogue spammers, not responsible
ones.  That does not make it impractical, useless, or the like.  It
merely restricts it to one segment, and not the other.

The other has plenty of legal resources, and always will.  And they are
a serious problem, too.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>