Re: 6. Solutions - Longterm - Replacing SMTP (Re: [Asrg] Bogus reasoning)

2003-07-10 05:12:37
Barry,

Forgive me, Barry, but the idea of world peace isn't all that difficult
either.  You just have to find an amenable model.

BS> I'm not sure sarcasm adds a lot to the knowledge base.

That's why I made of point of continuing with pristine seriousness.

In fact, even the sarcasm was not really sarcasm. I believe the logic
you used was the same as I recited. I cited an extreme to make clear the
nature of the underlying logic I saw with your statement.

Besides, we do not have nearly enough serious levity on this list.
Silliness and offensiveness, sure, but not simple levity amidst serious
content.

Effective real change to complex, existing human social systems is
always difficult, and frequently has proved impossible.
Feel free to cite large-scale examples to the contrary.

BS> Yeah well this is just spam not world peace.

BS> Besides, we've had relative world peace since WWII and most skirmishes
BS> And there's a reason for that, I'm not pursuing this without purpose.

You might want to look over the numbers of people killed from
inter-group violence every year, and reconsider your claim that we have
anything approaching world peace.

Localized solutions are not system solutions, no matter how significant
the locality.

So, again I will ask:  If you have any sort of engineering basis for
demonstrating a track record of success involving anything like the kind
of cooperation and technology you are proposing, please cite it.

As nasty as spam is, it is a not a world war, and countries are not
likely to have the same motivations for cooperation.  You may well try
to dispute that, but let me cite a small anecdote about the motivation
of governments to cede their authority over to a "world" government:

At one point in the earlier days of DNS name space expansion
discussions, an attorney suggested that dispute resolution be achieved
with actual international (ie, between and across nations) law (ie, law,
not contract enforcement as we now have.) Intellectual property issues
are a very serious international matter, with a considerable history of
international discussion.

A global, legal authority for domain name disputes would be a cleaner
solution that we are now using, so I was hopeful... until he explained
that there was no basis for such international law, now, and that it had
been under discussion for 100 years.

I am assuming that most folks want useful spam controls in a shorter
time-frame than centuries.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>