Re: [Asrg] Nothing will stop spam???

2003-07-10 12:48:34
From: "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes(_at_)waltdnes(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2003 4:11 AM

Password approach
2) Saves the XML token data to the user's account on his ISP.

Spammer notices that this group is almost exclusively male, and a
p****-enlargement ad will be "100% targetted". Spammer sends a spam
containing the additional SMTP command...
TOKN: OOGA_BOOGA
Recipient's ISP checks their database, sees that this client has listed
OOGA_BOOGA as a valid consent token, and lets the spam through... oops.

In my Choicelist system I propose a similar link based permission system.
Quote:

\x93Adding entries to the list is done by entering the Choicelist
identity number of the desired list into the box provided, or
clicking on a special Opt-In link such as:
<A HREF=\x93mailto:Choicelist12345\x94>Opt-In</A>
A link like this would be recognized by the MUA.
The user would then be asked to confirm the Opt-In.\x94

The sender can prevent spoofing of a Choicelist opt-in by adding authentication information to their identity, so at least in this implementation the attack you proposed would not work.

John Fenley