Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-10 12:34:38
From: "Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2003 10:42 PM
Going back to the original question (https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg06391.html):

"Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach their intended recipients."

Am I correct in assuming that the overall opinion of the group seems to be that this statement cannot be part of the requirements?

I believe that systems for sorting/blocking/handling email are inherently a proposed defenition of what spam is. They have their own defenitions of what spam is because of what they block. therefore in that context any system is self consistent in what it percieves to be spam, and what it blocks. If a filter does it's best, and the mechanism for filtering is known, then i feel it would be compliant with the statement above.

Thus when you choose a system to block/filter mail you should ensure that the defenition that system provides is similar to your own. Any "non spam" that didn't go through would then be caused by a missunderstanding of the defenition that the system implies.

John Fenley