RE: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-10 08:07:31
Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
How can you return mail to the "sender" when you don't know who that is?

I get tens of false bounces of mails I never sent every day. Most of the
time it is a virus that has hijacked my address, sometimes it is spam.

Totaly correct, but there is two reasons why a spam theoretically should
be returned as undeliverable.

1. Many of todays anti-spam tools do sort valid mail as spam. Those
senders should be notefied that their mail did not get through.

2. Those spammers faking addresses on a relay, is probably unknown by
the postmaster. A lot of undelivery messages in the log might get some
attention. OK a lot of them never looks in the logs, but some might.

A practical problem with returning spam, that might be the main issue,
is that I don't want it back as undeliverable. That is why I didn\xB4t
implemented it.

Chucks idea of changing the subject line is not a wrong idea. But if
also returned, it might further press a lazy relay postmaster to do
something. The spams get more visiable.

But since we are on the topic, in order not to get hanged by those
commercial powers, we also then need to look at the possibility that
spams with ADV: in the subject is left up to the individual ISP and/or
user to filter away. That is we need to have some rules for how to
identifying "correct" commercial mailing.  There is some RFC for ca -98
dealing with that, if I remember right.