[Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-14 22:57:06
Just ran across this quote from the John Gilmore of the EFF
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-04927.html):

----snip----
After years of divisive discussions, a very similar pledge/oath/policy was
what EFF was able to come to agreement on:

"Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach
their intended recipients."

Perhaps none of us has yet come up with a silver bullet to solve the
problem of spam -- but it IS within our power to solve the problem of
overzealous anti-spam measures.
----snip----

That's one advantage of my Permissions List approach... at least implemented at
the recipient end... anything it filters out HAS "reached" its "intended
recipient" and it's NOT required that ANY recipient actually READ all their
incoming mail.

You might subscribe to a daily newspaper, but I doubt that ANYBODY reads
everything in it.  I get a lot of E-mails which (based on who they're from or
what the subject line says) I know I don't *need* to read.  I read some, skip
some, just archive some others.

The Permissions List combined with content filters would help me to decide
which
E-mails I want to read... just as an executive secretary might decide which
mails a busy executive wants to read, or which telephone calls he might want to
take or return.  The daily digest of mail held helps me further by highlighting
the reasons why each given message was held, and in most cases I could just
scan
down the list and concur with what the system decided.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.