Re: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

2003-07-10 06:50:33
At 00:42 -0400 on 2003-07-10, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
Going back to the original question

(https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg06391.html):

"Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach
their intended recipients."

Am I correct in assuming that the overall opinion of the group seems to be
that this statement cannot be part of the requirements?

I believe you are correct.  You are certainly correct that the statement is
not an acceptable requirement for my systems.

Both as a matter of practicality, and as a matter of policy here, we block
entire networks.  We consider spammy networks a security issue (DoS), and
engage the same protection techniques we would against other exploit
attempts.  This means that effectively no mail from the networks we
consider pro-spam gets through.

Putting it another way, the network is irresponsible or otherwise a bad
neighbor, and thus too great a risk, so we drop all their SMTP connections.
A requirement to instead accept their mail and spin cycles analyzing it for
spammishness is simply not going to fly here.

Richard