Re: 6. Proposal - Sender Pays (was RE: [Asrg] Forbes: Pay up )

2003-07-15 18:39:45
At 06:19 PM 7/15/2003 -0400, mathew wrote:

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 09:56 AM, Paul Judge wrote:
Mathew, it sounds like you are volunteering to lead some work into the
"sender pays" approach. Good. Do you have any preliminary ideas?

Yes, but they're in my head at the moment.

Is what you're thinking along the lines of Selling Interrupt Rights or SHRED or is it a different approach?
[...]
IBM's Selling Interrupt Rights:
http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/414/forum.pdf

My thought is that something similar to "Selling Interrupt Rights" is probably what's needed, but I think it's premature to say that that's exactly right in all details.

I think what I'd like to do is try and get some agreement on requirements. For instance, *I* think a fairly basic requirement should be that the user be allowed to set the interrupt price at zero, so if people want to keep on allowing the entire world to send them e-mail for free, they can do so--nobody would be forced to adopt the new system.

Keep in mind the existing requirements document, the technical considerations document and the consent framework. Especially within the consent framework, consent tokens could be e-postage tokens.

So anyway, should I set up a mailing list for the discussion?

IMHO, this list is pretty good for now unless the traffic gets out of hand again.

Yakov