RAPNAP/OMX Re: 6. Proposal - Sender Pays (was RE: [Asrg] Forbes: Pay up )

2003-07-16 14:34:49

Hello ASRG mailing list

I've been working on this for several years and the implementation
is going through beta testing.

Sign up at http://www.pay2send.com/newalias.html to have
a working @pay2send.com forwarding address.  Filtering will
start happen Real Soon Now. (like before dawn tomorrow.)

All signed-up recipients will receive announcements.

Sender identity (an important aspect of Sender Pays) is
keyed on RAPNAP (Return Address, Network Address Pair) rather
than simply RA or insisting on public keys.  (A public-key based
sender verification would be easy to add, but the minimal Release 1
uses RAPNAP.)

RAPNAP is verified using the RAPNAP database, a centralized C-R system.

A client for the pay2send RAPNAP database is available on CPAN.

In addition to RAPNAP, to avoid C-R handshakes for users of
OMX compliant e-mail systems, the rapnap check system checks
for the existence of omx.example.com when it is analyzing mail
with an example.com RA.  When omx.example.com exists and the
PNA is listed as one of (the first seven) A-records, the message
is assumed to be legitimate.

When there are seven or more records in omx.example.com, the
system checks d.c.b.a.omx.example.com for any a.b.c.d PNA,
and if it exists and is not 0.0.0.0, the C-R handshake is
avoided.

The OMX proposal has been discussed on the DJBDNS mailing list;
this message is the first mention of it in an IETF forum.

Ideally, the RAPNAP database will be DNS based and live
at

        username.at.example.com.via.d.c.b.a.rapnap.int

and, to provide some data to include in the CR messages

sl.subject.line.ta.target.address.ra.username.at.example.com.via.d.c.b.a.rapnap.int

but we might run into A record length limitations; or truncate
accordingly.

and
        mailinglistid.via.d.c.b.a.rapnap.int

instead of being a clunky web service.

David Nicol

see also

http://www.pay2send.com/sender_identity.txt

Looks like I never set up a pay2send discussion mailing list --
I will be happy to maintain a simple developer's mailing list
for people who wish to contribute their sweat to the pay2send project:
e-mail me personally including links to your resume and how much
time you have to put in.
THE PAY2SEND PROJECT IS A PROFIT-MOTIVATED COMMERCIAL PROJECT
AND I AM TRACKING EQUITY CONTRIBUTIONS TOWARDS LATER REIMBURSEMENT.