Re: [Asrg] 0. Proposals - News Article - Anti-spam Registry

2003-07-25 21:40:44

YS> it is interesting to see such high statistic of approval of the
YS> idea.

The statistic is being cited by someone who wants the statistic to be
high.  Hence, they will look for a statistic that is high.

The methodology for acquiring the data says "web survey". This probably
means that there was a web page soliciting comments. This is a highly
biased sampling technique. It means that people with higher motivations
will offer their opinions. In this case, higher motivations come from
high frustration. Hence, the people who will respond will be the people
who want action taken. Any action.

We could probably get a statistic showing that most people approve the
idea of world peace.  Unfortunately, that won't affect the practicality
of any schemes for world peace.

A registry might have some utility. The real problems are getting the
administrative details right -- as the article points out -- and getting
our expectations right. If we have sufficiently limited expectations for
the effect of the registry, we might be happy with it.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>