[Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?

2003-07-25 23:41:17
I found this in my SMTP log

The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic,

IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions,

I've only been skimming this list (5000 messages are a lot to catch up on.
But this action by AOL is like prohibiting free speech to save it. Killing
email by going back to the PTT model is effectively opting out of the
Internet. I say a little more about this at
http://www.frankston.com/?name=AolVsInternet.

I'm going to be posting some general comments about the Internet in the next
week and one point I will make is that the static IP address is a legacy and
must be deprecated. It's just like using the Ethernet MAC address or the
circuit ID in a phone network. It is (and should be) a routing identifier.
We need simple handles for maintaining relationships. Unfortunately the .COM
madness has confused the issue.

.

Bob Frankston

rmf19(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com

http://www.frankston.com <http://www.frankston.com/>

http://www.satn.org