RE: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?

2003-07-26 11:27:25
The responses I got (only 2) remind me of the concept that free speech is
only allowed as long as you don't abuse it. For this list I must point
translate this phrase to point out that restricting free speech to what is
allowed ain't no free speech. It's heartening to see the reaction in Hong
Kong to the attempts to make sure they don't get too much freedom.

I don't really think I need to respond to the suggestions that we should
limit email to approved messages via approved channels containing approved
content but might as well make a futile attempt. But I realize this is a
religious war between those who know good from bad as absolutes and those
who don't see them as invariants.

Static IP addresses are bug. But putting that aside, Requiring me to only
send mail through approved channels is like requiring that I ask permission
to use free speech and file with all the authorities so I can be punished
for saying the wrong things. Telling me what path I'm allowed to use is not
just restrictive, it's not the Internet! But if you believe they can't be
forged, you're setting yourself up for a disaster.

To respond to another letter I don't need, I don't want an ISP and I must
not be required to have an ISP any more than I must not be required to send
my phone calls over the legacy PSTN for no purpose other than creating a
billable entity out of nothing - I just want to have my packets find a path.
If I'm driving down the road I'll use whatever access point is available. I
can't use an ISP that requires my packets follow a physical path any more
than I can be assured my water molecules will not go the wrong way through
the ocean.

As to no HTML -- that only applies to lists of people who eschew expressive
typography. But it will help reduce spam as will other measures that reduce
the expressive power of language

This is reminiscent of the efforts to prove programs correct by so reducing
the expressive power of the programming languages as to render the program
inscrutable to humans but at least you could use a mechanical procedure to
demonstrate the equivalence between two inscrutable strings of characters.

We can kill email and its expressive power in order to save it.