7. Best Practices - Mail Administrators (Re: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?)

2003-07-26 20:12:21
At 08:52 PM 7/26/2003, Scott Nelson wrote:
At 02:39 AM 7/26/03 -0400, asrg(_at_)bobf(_dot_)frankston(_dot_)com wrote:
>I found this in my SMTP log
>
>The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic,
>IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions,
>
>I've only been skimming this list (5000 messages are a lot to catch up on.
>But this action by AOL is like prohibiting free speech to save it. Killing
>email by going back to the PTT model is effectively opting out of the
>Internet. I say a little more about this at
>http://www.frankston.com/?name=AolVsInternet.

As Scott has stated:
...... opposing their stupid policies is very different from opposing their right to have stupid policies. Seems to me that this group is more about the latter than the former, but I'm certain it's the wrong venue for this sort of discussion.......

I have to agree with Scott that this is not a proper forum or venue to debate whether AOL itself is correct. HOWEVER, this can be something to be discussed at part of "Best Current Practices" for mail administrators. If any of you are willing to take on the task, please post to the list or email the chair off-list.

Yakov