Re: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?

2003-07-27 08:30:52
Scott,

SN> AOL has the right to refuse to listen to anyone they want.
SN> I'll grant that AOL has a stupid policy,
SN> but trying to turn that into a free speech issue is a bit over the top.

Though the reference is emotion-laden, I believe the same claim was made
by folks such as restaurants, refusing service to Blacks in the U.S.
Eventually it was banned as a valid criterion.

Just as there are constraints on "free speech", there on constraints on
its suppression, even within the private sector.

This is especially important when the private sector entity has
considerable market force.

(and, no, IANAL.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>