Re: [Asrg] 0. General - News Article - Replacing SMTP

2003-08-01 11:49:47
At 1:38 PM -0400 8/1/03, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
"The protocol that has defined e-mail for more than two decades may have a fatal flaw: It trusts you. Developed when the Internet was used almost exclusively by academics, the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol, or SMTP, assumes that you are who you say you are. SMTP makes that assumption because it doesn't suspect that you're sending a Trojan horse virus, that you're making

That's really not true. The fundamental problem has nothing to do with SMTP and trust, it has to do with the lack of any way to identify a person on-line. Given that we don't even have usable, reliable ways to identify people *off*-line, that's not terribly surprising.

You can envision two ways around it. One is a standard cryptographic identification system backed by some central authorizing organization. The other is a closed centralized mail system in which it is impossible to send email unless the sender is provably the person who would receive any replies.

Neither of those are going to happen, any more than we'll fix the corresponding identification problems in the realspace.

The whole thing SMTP thing is a red herring. Because not only do you have to solve the identity problem, you *also* would have to link each identities to a physical personal or company, and be able to recognize the commonality of all identities owned by that person. Otherwise throw-away identities keep the problem alive.

And finally you'd need an enforcement mechanism to prevent abuse. It does me no good to know the name of the person who is mail-bombing my server if I can't stop him.

Given those issues, putting the blame on SMTP is pretty laughable. The problem has nothing to do with technology, and everything to do with society. That's not to say that technology can't alleviate the problem. But "fixing" SMTP is not going to solve anything. Technically the SMTP fix already exists, and has for years. The fact that it isn't widely deployed makes it clear that the problem is elsewhere.

As is alluded to here, but apparently not in a way that was strong enough to nix the finger pointing at SMTP:

partially solved with existing technologies. "Authentication in SMTP is not that hard," Paul Hoffman, director of the Internet Mail Consortium and author of numerous computer-related books, wrote in an e-mail interview. "There is already a protocol for doing it, namely running SMTP over SSL/TLS. And, yes, I wrote it." (The SMTP over SSL/TLS protocol is available at the Internet Engineering Task Force's Web site.) The hard part, according to Hoffman and others, is establishing the "trust relationships" required to back up any computer-based authentication scheme--in other words, verifying that a person is who he or she claims to be. The problem worsens, Hoffman said, when trying

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/          Anti-Spam Service for your POP Account

everyone else's.