Re: [Asrg] 0. General - News Article - Replacing SMTP

2003-08-01 14:40:37
Yakov,

YS> I just ran across the following news article from CNET's News.com which
YS> raises some interesting issues regarding proposals to replace the SMTP
YS> protocol. It also discusses the ASRG in some detail. Here is the link:

1. when was the last time you tried to post a regular letter, through
the paper mail delivery service, and were required to show
identification? I guess this means that there is a fundamental flaw in
the delivery of physical mail. I guess we had better start plans for
replacing the entire physical mail service.

2. when there is consensus about specific functions that are needed, we
can look at the best ways of implementing them.  if we discover that we
need to make a change to smtp, but are not able to, only then will it
make sense to explore replacing smtp.  until then, the call for
replacing smtp is a nice way to sound radical, but it has nothing to do
with seriously discussing problems and their solutions.

3. note that anything anyone submits to the ASRG is reported as being
"considered" by it.  this lends credibility to proposals that have no
support other than the authors.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker(_at_)brandenburg(_dot_)com>