[Asrg] New Vector of Spamming?

2003-08-07 10:57:42
I got a bunch of bounce messages yesterday with attached spam, which seemed
to indicate I was somehow spamming.  At first, I thought someone forged my
email address into the the spam's reply to line, as I saw no spam in my
"Sent Items" folder, but now I'm not so sure.

Running a virus check with updated virus signatures showed no hits, but
updating my spyware checkers' databases and scanning indicated that somehow
a new version of the C2 LOP spyware got installed on my PC.  I immediately
cleaned it off, and I've only received one bounce message today (perhaps a
leftover from yesterday?).

While I have heard of viruses compromising machines and using them as open
relays, this is the first time I've ever heard of spyware doing it.  If this
is the case, then we have a new vector of delivery of spam to contend with.
What's more disturbing, is that most virus scanners don't check for spyware
(actually, I don't know of any that do.)  So now, we could have a whole new
delivery vector that for most people would be undetectable, because they
think their virus scanners will stop it...