Re: [Asrg] New Vector of Spamming?

2003-08-11 09:25:00
Apologies if this ends up being a double post. My original did not seem to appear after a few days...

On 8/7/2003, John Kurrle wrote:

>I got a bunch of bounce messages yesterday with attached spam, which seemed
>to indicate I was somehow spamming.  At first, I thought someone forged my
>email address into the the spam's reply to line, as I saw no spam in my
>"Sent Items" folder, but now I'm not so sure.

Without an example (please provide), its hard to tell exactly what has happened in your case, but...

Something like this happened to me earlier this year. A spammer was using random "From" addresses belonging to my domain. To make things look even 'more' real, the "From" addresses had random human names. Thus, when spam was sent to invalid e-mail addresses, I got the bounce messages (primarily from AOL).

So a few possibilities:

1.  Simply a forged "From" address.
2. A "bounce spam" attack where the "From" contains the _intended_ recipient, and the "To" contains a known invalid address. Thus, the innocent 3rd party becomes the delivery agent. 3. Virally delivered spam (instead of a DDOS zombie, we've a spam sending zombie). 4. Spyware driven spam. Could be functionally same as (3) or only deliver to "infected" computer.

3 and 4 could be caught in action by a firewall or sniffer. For 1 and 2 all you can do is trace the message if you're lucky, or go after the companies in the spam. Contacting their ISP/upstream provider (depending if its from a spam friendly ISP), or having their domain revoked can work at least temporarily.

I think if enough users demand it, anti-virus companies will add spyware detection. If a major company does so, the rest will follow.

-Greg