[Asrg] 2. the analysis and characterization work: great article on following the spam money

2003-08-09 14:08:31

http://www.msnbc.com/news/940490.asp

probably the best article I've read to-date that tells lays out the spam
business model. in short: it starts with a spammer who then sells a lead
to N layers of resellers and finally the lead lands, guess where: big
companies that we all know, who in and of themselves probably don't know
they are supporting spamming.

excellent writeup. don't miss it.

Paul:  I think it would be valuable in the understanding phase,
possiblly section 2, to have a section linking to various articles that
talk about the economics of spam. Ultimately this is the root cause of
the entire spam problem and I don't think an R&D effort will be complete
without this rudimentary information.

Peter Kay, President
Web: www.titankey.com
<file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Application%20Data/
Microsoft/Signatures/www.titankey.com>
The only technology that stops spam BEFORE it's even sent