[Asrg] What if...

2003-08-10 11:26:53
Hi everybody!
I've been wondering what would happen if every mail server starts to blindly accept every mail address as long as it belongs to a valid domain served by this server. I think that is commonly known as catch-all or blackholes.

As I see it, this would have two effects:
1) a dramatic rise of spam sent to non-existant mail addresses
2) huge numbers of non-existant mail addresses on spammers lists

Wouldnt that render the spam lists worthless in a rather short time? Nobody would be able to distinguish real from wrong mail addresses anymore. Directory Harvest attacks would have a 100% success rate but depending on the program a almost 0% rate of useful results.

I am aware of the impact this might have on mail servers. But how long would it take for spammers change their tactics?

cheers
Andreas