Re: [Asrg] What if...

2003-08-10 13:09:30
Andreas Saurwein wrote:
Hi everybody!
I've been wondering what would happen if every mail server starts to blindly accept every mail address as long as it belongs to a valid domain served by this server. I think that is commonly known as catch-all or blackholes.

As I see it, this would have two effects:
1) a dramatic rise of spam sent to non-existant mail addresses
2) huge numbers of non-existant mail addresses on spammers lists

Wouldnt that render the spam lists worthless in a rather short time? Nobody would be able to distinguish real from wrong mail addresses anymore. Directory Harvest attacks would have a 100% success rate but depending on the program a almost 0% rate of useful results.

I am aware of the impact this might have on mail servers. But how long would it take for spammers change their tactics?

My guess is, it would take very long. It wouldn't really hurt the spammers. The spammers don't care that the recipients do not exist. They already send a lot of mail to non-existing addresses. If it gets bounced, who cares? Well the ISP or users whose domains or addresses are abused as the sender address probably do.

What would happen is that a lot of messages are simply accepted in stead of bounced. It gives an opportunity to feed DCC and razor networks and statistical filters. That's all.

Menno

--
Menno Pieters - Stelvio
Postbus 215, 3740 AE Baarn