Re: [Asrg] Encryption technologies and SPAM

2003-08-13 12:41:20
I don't see why we need to tie encryption and spam control together. I
don't even see the first claim you make - why does encryption limit
spam? Are you proposing we send only encrypted email?

Chuck Wegrzyn

There have been a number of proposals on this list that suggest that the
best way to limit SPAM is raise the cost of transmitting an email.  In
some cases these proposals are based on a micropayment scheme.  Other
systems such as HashCash force the sender to "send" CPU cycles.  I am
simply suggesting that since the act of encryption costs CPU cycles, an
encryption system might fulfill many of the same design principles as a
system like Hashcash, while, at the same time providing a privacy service.