[Asrg] Encryption technologies and SPAM

2003-08-13 11:53:39
Hi all

I have a silly question that didn't seem to be addressed in the FAQ.
I'm trying to understand dependancies between opportunistic encryption of
email and efforts to control SPAM.

From what I can tell, there are some very significant cross effects
between the two technologies:

First: If email is encrypted, this will sigificantly limit the locations
at which SPAM control technologies can be deployed.

Second: Encryption is computationally expensive.  Potentially, the act of
forcing end nodes to encrypt an email prior to sending it could increase
the cost of transmission enough to render many forms of SPAM economically
unviable.  [On a related topic, is their a well accepted boundary
condition regarding the total cost to transmit an email message in order
that SPAM is economically viable?]

Third, the same key distribution technologies that enable encrypted email
will also be necessary for any kind of digital signature system.

From my (admittedly novice) perspective, it would appear that SPAM control
and encryption need to be considered in parallel.
I haven't seen much dicussion of this topic on the mailing list.

Richard Willey

Strategic Marketing
Symantec Corporation
There are 10 types of people in the world
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Office:
(408) 517-7740
Interoffice:
Mobile: