RE: spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge responders

2003-08-13 11:52:42
While I readily and heartily agree that the more concrete the data the
better, the diversity and global scope of the interviews I've seen
(e.g.: some from New Zealand, some from Korea, in addition to several US
sources) and the specifics of the spammers' quotes therein make it
difficult to hold as plausible the scenario that the reporters are
cribbing from each other.

        Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Barry Shein [mailto:bzs(_at_)world(_dot_)std(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 6:25 PM
To: Bob Atkinson
Cc: Barry Shein; Yakov Shafranovich; Dave Aronson; asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge
responders

I guess the executive summary of your message is: The plural of
anecdote is evidence.

Reporters repeat each other to generate copy, that the same anecdotes
and hearsay appear over and over proves nothing other than that the
reporters are also pretty good with google.

I'd prefer to see a 1040 or corporate quarterly which reflected facts,
or an accusation of tax fraud (bank statements, etc. would do.)

        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs(_at_)TheWorld(_dot_)com           |
http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login:
617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989
*oo*

On August 12, 2003 at 13:50 bobatk(_at_)exchange(_dot_)microsoft(_dot_)com (Bob
Atkinson)
wrote:
It's good to be wary, but from the baker's dozen or so of spammer
interviews I've recently seen that have useful figures in them
there's a
surprising amount of consistency. Certainly enough to be able to
glean
useful ballparks of, e.g., click-through or conversion rates and
profit
per sale.

Indeed, if anything I suspect that spammers tend to brag here (but
not
much) more than they tend to dissemble in the other direction,
leading
to the fact that the numbers they let drop can be considered
conservative in what it takes to make them unprofitable.

The Iraqi playing card article, btw, can (or could) be found at any
of
the following (be aware though that there's some errors in the
arithmetic on the part of the reporter):

http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-list/2003-June/046051.html
     http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/09/technology/09CARD.html
     http://www.iht.com/articles/99019.html
     http://www.naplesnews.com/03/06/business/d855876a.htm