spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge responders

2003-08-13 15:06:35
It's good to be wary, but from the baker's dozen or so of spammer
interviews I've recently seen that have useful figures in them there's a
surprising amount of consistency. Certainly enough to be able to glean
useful ballparks of, e.g., click-through or conversion rates and profit
per sale.

Indeed, if anything I suspect that spammers tend to brag here (but not
much) more than they tend to dissemble in the other direction, leading
to the fact that the numbers they let drop can be considered
conservative in what it takes to make them unprofitable.

The Iraqi playing card article, btw, can (or could) be found at any of
the following (be aware though that there's some errors in the
arithmetic on the part of the reporter):

http://news.spamcop.net/pipermail/spamcop-list/2003-June/046051.html
        http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/09/technology/09CARD.html
        http://www.iht.com/articles/99019.html
        http://www.naplesnews.com/03/06/business/d855876a.htm