Re: 2. Spam Analysis - Economics (was Re: spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge responders)

2003-08-14 10:06:33
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 17:01 Europe/London, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

The majority of the hijacked computer sent spam we see is just plain old open proxies. Using an open proxy doesn't give you any extra bandwidth, it's just an anonymising tool.

Matt, I was not aware of that fact - the article quiting the Message Labs report made it clear that the 70% figure refered to regular hijacked computers.

What is a "regular" hijacked computer to you?

Perhaps you can provide us with an extract from that report or a link to it?

It's probably on our web site somewhere. Unfortunately I use a Mac and the web site isn't viewable in Safari, my browser of choice :-)

Matt.