Re: 2. Spam Analysis - Economics (was Re: spammer economics; was: RE: [Asrg] hiring challenge responders)

2003-08-14 10:13:30
At 01:04 PM 8/14/2003, Matt Sergeant wrote:
On Thursday, Aug 14, 2003, at 17:01 Europe/London, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

The majority of the hijacked computer sent spam we see is just plain old open proxies. Using an open proxy doesn't give you any extra bandwidth, it's just an anonymising tool.

Matt, I was not aware of that fact - the article quiting the Message Labs report made it clear that the 70% figure refered to regular hijacked computers.

What is a "regular" hijacked computer to you?

A computer that has been hijacked by a virus or a trojan horse, as opposed to a computer that has been misconfigured into an open-proxy.