RE: [Asrg] 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Experimental Desi gn

2003-08-18 11:43:09
I can match the message to my gateway logs and pull data from there too. I
just need to be able to extract the data for it to be useful.
 Also, some tool is better than no tool. I can work around short comings as
long as the basic functionality is there.
The rewrites are also very minimal and do not destroy the information that
we am looking for.
It will also allow me to get more people involved in classifying the email.

Regards,
Damon Sauer

-----Original Message-----
From: jm(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org [mailto:jm(_at_)jmason(_dot_)org]
Sent: Monday, August 18, 2003 2:30 PM
To: Sauer, Damon
Cc: 'Yakov Shafranovich'; 'Terry Sullivan'; 'asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org'
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 2.a.1 Analysis of Actual Spam Data - Experimental Desi
gn

Sauer, Damon writes:
We found this piece of software that will run against an exchange
mailbox, gather certain information from email in a folder and put in
in a database ... It is very interesting. But it does not go far
enough. Could someone look at this? I think that it would be a GREAT
help in cataloging the data. Once the vital information is in a sql
database- I can match my logs to it.

I would caution against using Exchange as a back-end for mail reception; it
rewrites the messages extensively and many key spam signatures will be lost.

--j.

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."