RE: [Asrg] 4. Consent Framework - General

2003-08-24 15:10:36
As part of the work on consent frameworks, is there a proposal somewhere
to allow a user or delegated administrator) to see the consents that
s/he has in place? Rather like Credit reporting. I periodically receive
my credit report and check it out to see if there is anything weird on
it. I would also like, periodically, to see the consents that I have in
place and to be able to tweak them (or revoke them).

Scenario:

I have just bought a business and the previous owner has "consented" to
receive some email that I really don't want. He is on every one of the
dating services, and several pornographic sites too. They regularly send
him mail. Trouble is that he used a "functional mailbox"
(sales(_at_)thecompany(_dot_)com) to sign up for these things. Even with a nice
consent framework, he can have consented to all of this stuff. Now as
the business owner, I suddenly find that my sales(_at_)thecompany(_dot_)com
mailbox
has been inundated with mail that has been legitimately consented to,
but I don't want. I actually have no idea what consents that mailbox
has. I just know that I would really like not to have them extant any
more.

Of course, it is quite possible that the previous owner did this on
purpose, because he was forced to sell the company - it wasn't a going
concern and the other investors wanted their money out.

Every one of the current customers knows that sales(_at_)thecompany(_dot_)com is
the way to get in touch when they want to buy things from us, so the
email address is itself, a thing of value and an asset that was valued
in the asset purchase agreement.

End of scenario

There are plenty of scenarios like this, so I think the ability to find
out the "consents" (even for a fee, like the credit reports) could be
quite valuable. I really don't want to see a "yes you did, no I didn't"
kind of war breaking out between email address holders and marketers if
at all possible.

At least a reasonable consent framework might prevent me from getting
the interminable emails from companies that I have never done business
with, but who have my email address because they were harvested by klez
or one of the other viruses from the mail box of a colleague.

Chris