Re: 7. BCP - Default Settings (was Re: [Asrg] 0. - General - Consent and SoBig)

2003-08-27 23:15:32
At 05:09 PM 8/24/2003, Brad Knowles wrote:
At 3:09 PM -0400 2003/08/24, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

 What I am asking is for someone to take charge of this area and start
 working on some documents. And even if you do not have the time to
 collaborate, you can give some time to review the documents and
 comments on them, with others who have ample more time to actually
 write them.

        I can certainly participate on a team of reviewers and editors.

I would also be willing to coordinate this effort, until/unless someone more qualified steps forward, or someone objects.

Ok, for starters:
1. We need to evaluate which areas require BCPs. In the research agenda (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_research_agenda.htm) three items are listed:
7.a. End-users
7.b. Mail administrators.
7.c. Mass Mailers

At least one additional one is required for DNSRBLs which Chris Lewis is working on. We also need to know which other areas would benefit from BCPs. 2. Three relevant existing RFCs are listed on the bottom of the documents page (http://www.irtf.org/asrg/asrg_documents.htm). We need to review them whether updating is needing. Contacting the author might help.
3. Volunteers are needed.
4. We need to review existing BCPs from other sources such as Carrot and Stick, SpamCon, etc. 5. Someone needs to plow throw the mailing list archive for BCP suggestions (use gmane.org).
6. A process needs to be setup to manage the area.

Yakov