Re: [Asrg] 0. General - Administrative - for M. Wild

2003-08-28 14:39:33
On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 14:24, Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
This message is intended for M Wild ("Mike"):

I have been trying to send an email reply to you but unfortunately it is
not going through due to the following error:

450 Client host rejected: cannot find your hostname, [xx.xx.xx.xx]

I do not have an rDNS address and use the IP address in the HELO command
for SMTP. Apparently your server is not accepting that. Please let me know
an alternative way to contact you.

RFC 2822 specifically allows domain literals in the EHLO/HELO command.

RFC 1123 Section 5.2.5 specific forbids refusing messages if the domain
name in HELO (predating SMTP extensions, there is no mention of EHLO)
"fails verification".

There was general discussion some years ago about the issue of:

- accepting SMTP connections when there is no rDNS for the calling IP
address.

- accepting SMTP connections if the rDNS hostname does not have an A
record which contains the calling IP address.

At that stage there were enough legitimate sites which fail either of
these tests to make rejection on these grounds unacceptable for a
reasonable service.

So, in my opinion M Wild's MTA is not acting reasonably.

cheers

David Wilson                             David(_dot_)Wilson(_at_)isode(_dot_)com
Isode Limited                            Tel: +44 (0) 20 8783 2961
http://www.isode.com