Re: [Asrg] 7. Best Practices - DNSBLs - Article

2003-09-08 21:02:51
Justin Mason wrote:

Chris Lewis writes:

The simple fact of the matter is that open proxy/socks code will _not_ queue - so they won't try a second time[2]. I would strongly suspect that if you made your greylisting timeout _zero_, and simply 400'd the first appearance of a given sender/IP/recipient tuple and accept the next appearance, no matter how quickly, you'd still be getting 90% of what greylisting with a very long timeout would give you.

Of course, spamming tools will evolve, so then you consider increasing the timeouts. Too far, tho, and it's worse than where you started. And I don't think you'd ever get to where you'll be able to take into account DNSBL latency.

My opinion is that, if greylisting becomes common, spammers will
simply start saving enough data to perform retries.

The longer a spammer keeps using a specific IP address, the bigger is the chance of him getting traced by the ISP or being kicked off by the ISP. In general, Greylisting would force spammers to use specific IP addresses for longer periods of time, killing the advantage that they gain by moving from server to server.

Yakov