Re: [Asrg] 7. BCP - Verisign and wildcards [CORRECTION]

2003-09-20 06:52:35
Jonathan Morton wrote:

 Please don't get me wrong, I am really upset about VeriSigns "coup",
 but there is more to fix than just .com/.net and not all white hats
 are without big black spots ...

Right. This is why ISC is working on a real solution to the overall problem. According to the article by Declan McCullagh at <http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-5077530.html>, there should be a fix for this published by tomorrow.

the expectations for .com and .net to not
have wildcards were all set many years ago, and it's the violation of those expectations that's got people angry enough to publish patchware about it.

New versions of BIND 9.{1,2,3} have just been released:

The "Snubby" mail rejector daemon has been now upgraded to version 1.5!
It accepts EHLO and most SMTP commands, and looks RFC compliant. Once again for the BCP area we must account for this behavior and similar theoretical DNS issues in BCPs for spam tools and MUA/MTA authors.

Additionally, as per below log, it accepts mail addressed to <postmaster> as per section 4.5.1 of RFC 2821. It does not accept mail addressed to <postmaster(_at_)some-non-existing-domain(_dot_)com>, so misaddressed mail bounces UNLESS the sender's MTA/MUA uses the <postmaster> format. The mail log appears below:

-------------snip------------
open 64.94.110.11 25

220 Snubby Mail Rejector Daemon v1.5 ready
HELO snubby.org
250 snubby
RSET
250 Ok
HELO snubby.org
250 snubby
MAIL FROM:<>
250 Ok
RCPT TO:<postmaster>
250 Ok
RCPT TO:<postmaster(_at_)nowoneoeoeoeoisherehehe(_dot_)com>
550 <unknown[68.27.148.70]>: Client host rejected: The domain you are
trying to
send mail to does not exist.
DATA
354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>