[Asrg] Re: 2.a. Analysis - Honeypot!

2003-09-20 06:53:54
Terry Sullivan is involved in the analysis area and can provide some statistical input on this.

Liam Meany wrote:

Hello Yakov,

Many thanks for the detailed reply. Point taken on the "subject" guidelines.
Apologies to all.

A bit on my background
I'm currently working on a dissertation regarding spam - where it comes
from. To this end I've seeded 398 email addresses in various places on the
web including web pages, mailing lists and newsgroups. The honeypot is in
operation for about 3 months now and so far I have only received about 300
actual spam messages.

The major finding so far is that 80% of the spam comes from email addresses
posted to newsgroups and only 10% from web pages, despite trying to
advertise them as much as possible with the search engines. I seems that it
takes longer for the spammers to get email addresses from web pages or least
that low traffic websites are not their target.

If anyone else in the group is investigating  similarly, or has any views, I
would be happy to hear from them.

many thanks,

Liam