Re: [Asrg] Re: 2.a. Analysis - Honeypot!

2003-09-24 01:35:03

Hi,

Not really this.

What I'd like to say is that a significant number of connections sending
spam to us come from end users of domains client.attbi.net, or
verizon.net, rr.com, mindspring.net, interbusiness.it, .br, and so...

At the same time, a significative number of virus are coming from
endusers from the same domains.

As a french education/research institution, we have very few reasons (in
fact, no reason) to receive connections directly from end-users of these
domains.

What I was trying to figure out is : are most spammers infected by
virus, or virus are being sent conciously...

This amazes me.

At the same time, as our filtering does dynamic blacklisting, we receive
spam coming from many, many clients. The same spam comes from many
clients, and each client does very few connections a day (one or two).
The very most spam we receive comes from end-users of these domains, not
from open-relays.

I suspect some spam proposing you to work at home are, in fact,
proposals to let your computer available to distribute spam. Some sort
of a "network of workers". The same kind of structure such as
Tupperware, or others...