Re: [Asrg] 0. General - ASRG Direction - PLEASE READ

2003-09-25 05:52:02
On 09/24/03 18:55, "Yakov Shafranovich" <research(_at_)solidmatrix(_dot_)com>
wrote:

We need volunteers urgently and they have not been forthcoming. Do you
want the ASRG to just wither away until the IRTF shuts it down? Are you
happy seeing spammers laugh all the way to the bank? Do you want to be
there when our children will turn to us in the future and ask: "Mommy
and Daddy, where were you when spam killed email on the Internet?" Where
are all of the group members? We have over 600 subscribers with only a
small amount participating, where are the others?!?!?!

Hello,

I'd like to help but frankly I have no idea what or how. I'm a student just
finishing up an undergraduate degree in computer science and a LAN
administrator in charge of a solitary mail server that handles a few
thousand messages per day. As much as I enjoy reading the posts to this
list, I also find them a bit intimidating. The people here seem to be in
charge of large networks and handle vast volumes of mail, or in key
positions at companies. Many signatures indicate people who operate their
own firms.

Some of the discussions revolve around technologies I haven't even heard of
before. I found the thread on spam metrics in more than one dimension quite
interesting but lack the statistical background to understand all of it. I
don't have a guru-level understanding of SMTP, MTA/MUA's and so forth that
many here seem to. I've looked at the work list and don't understand what's
actually required for the projects. In short, I have no idea what I could
actually do. I tried writing to two different people directly, but go no
response. I thought I'd wait until I graduated in December to try again, but
your plea moved me to write now.

I'm still trying to understand all the issues, and don't want to see the
spammers win, so I'll offer to help -- but I'd like some guidance as to how.

Thomas Juntunen