[Asrg] Re: 3. Requirements document

2003-09-25 16:19:36
My personal feeling is that the most valuable thing that
could come out of this group is a strong statement of consent,

I actually would like to see us produce something significantly more concrete
and useful than that, but...

...with a particular goal of defeating the U.S. Congress', and DMA's attempt
to make opt-out the standard model.

On that part we ABSOLUTELY agree.

We all know that won't work.

Indeed.  In fact, we ought to do whatever we can to make our respective
Congresscritters cognizant of that BAD joke, too.

But a united front from the internet groups behind a common definition of
what levels of consent must be required would help.

I've put in my previous message some of what *I* consider key.

I don't think there's any need whatsoever to create a mechanism to tell senders
what their permission level might or might not be.  I think they should feel
OBLIGED to mail at the minimum, least-common-denominator level until the
RECIPIENT tells them otherwise (and authorizes such, too, via their permissions
list).  This is one way to keep senders at arm's length, AND to let the
Congress
and DMA to know that they MUST contact the recipient for "extra" permissions
FIRST if they want more than just minimal level of access to the recipient's
inbox.

Along with that model, could come a set of BCPs for senders, receivers, spam
filters and ISPs.

That's certainly a valid goal too.

There are other groups working on portions of that (see
http://www.isipp.org/standards.html, a document that came out of the
Summit I and Summit II conferences that brought major senders and
receivers together to talk about email deliverability).  I think that
ASRG (in it's newer, mellower form) could contribute to that process.

I think the only way to get spammers to deal with these restrictions is simply
for them to have no real choice in the matter... either they play nicely, and
don't piss off recipients, or they don't get to play [much!] at all.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.