Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - AMTP (rev 01)

2003-09-29 07:19:29
On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 11:02:04PM -0400, Phil Miller wrote:
Bill Weinman wrote:

I have just finished a new draft of the AMTP specification. I would
welcome comments from this group.

I've submitted it to the I-D editor, but until they get to it you'll
find a copy here:

  http://amtp.bw.org/docs/draft-weinman-amtp-01.txt

Yakov invited me to join this group after the original draft, but I
found myself overwhelmed with response from slashdot and on the
amtp-discuss list. Anyway, this draft is a lot more complete.

TIA for your comments,

Major nitpick: "roll" is a kind of bread; you mean "role".

Now, for my real beef: the DNS requirements break the use of
'residential' ISP lines for hosting AMTP servers. I currently host an
SMTP server on my local network that would do direct delivery, except
that a certain large network doesn't accept delivery from
dynamic/residential pools. So, I have to use my ISP's slow, unreliable
'smart' host SMTP server as a relay. Your design codifies this
irritating standard as mandated policy on an Internet-wide basis.

I, too, host my own MTA on a residential DSL line.  However, I have a fully
functional rDNS on it was well.  For those that cannot do this, I'd suggest
finding another ISP that allows this.  Until consumers demand it, ISP's such
as yours won't go out of their way to provide this service.

Even if I used my ISP-provided rDNS as the argument for EHLO, and
purchased a certificate from an outside CA with the same as the CN, my
ISP can change this value at any time, thus invalidating my certificate
and making mail delivery impossible.

The key is to have your in-addr.arpa netblock delegated to you.

You do address this, but with the assumption that the ISP is willing and
able to be helpful. This is not a valid assumption in many circumstances.

Philip Miller

Steven F. Siirila                       Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services                       E-mail: sfs(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Office of Information Technology        Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota