Re: 3. Requirements - Consent (was Re: [Asrg] Re: 3. Requirements document)

2003-09-30 12:08:36
Dennis Gearon wrote:

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

Jon Kyme wrote:

Wouldn't a standard way of communicating consent between the MUA and MTA

help?

I think it eventually has to come down to an access list, IF someone wants to keep spam down in their inbox.

And that means that email is at first part of a communication relationship, a secondary medium. Telephone, letter, and in person methods will be used for initial validation. "Hey Joe, I want to be able to contact you by email, will you put me on your access list, OK?" Anyone got any real objections to that assumption?

I think a lot of people have that objection. Someone has told me off-list that this assumption has been one of the biggest problems with the ASRG's charter and the notion of consent in it:

<snip>
You don't need advance consent to communicate with people. Consent can be revoked, but we would oppose any systems that retract it in advance. In free societies unsolicited communication is allowed.
<snip>

Keep in mind that the consent framework does not assume that. Rather this option is left to the implementors. Some existing systems such as C/R already have that assumption.