Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Reputation systems - Project Lumos (was Re: [Asrg

2003-09-30 13:26:29
This proposal seems very similar to my original version of Choicelist located at
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/spam/Supplements/fenley.pdf

Specifically figure 3 on page 12, and figure 5 on page 18 seem similar to my picture on page 4. Though their diagrams are better looking, they seem to me to convey almost identical structures and mail handling.

Thoughts on Project Lumos:

If checks to the main registry must be performed to check on the reputation of a sender, why are certificates used? How is spoofed mail without a certificate or x-header treated if the gateways are looking for those specific items to recognize registered mail?

In Project Lumos, the registry keeps track of sender reputation. How will reputation tampering be prevented? For instance I could get someone to report that they received many emails from me so that my ratio of complaints to mail is low, or I could make many complaints about a competitor to ruin their reputation.

With Project Lumos, unknown registered bulk mailers must be automatically trusted (if they are not automatically trusted then how is a reputation originally established?). People have a reason to worry that their address will be released to untrustworthy parties and "marketing partners" even within the system.

Project Lumos gives few options to end users and instead assumes that ISPs must do their filtering at the MTA level. This does not allow the end user to make any consent decisions, and insures that Project Lumos will not be effective at preventing user-defined spam.

Because free email services such as Hotmail and Yahoo would be held accountable by Project Lumos for abuse by their users, I don't believe they will happily register for this sort of reputation system. They already do their best to prevent spammers from using their systems, but this system would hurt their business by impacting deliverability. In Choicelist, each sender is responsible for the creation of their own account, and abuse by one customer does not effect other customers or the provider.

" Continuous performance measurement is required to establish the reputation of both senders and ESPs." Then there is a list of actions that must be performed by Project Lumos mail gateways.

When I talked to Microsoft about Choicelist a while ago, one of their main concerns was that I demanded a few things from recipients such as a guarantee of delivery for wanted registered mail. I don't think large providers will want to commit to this system because of the required feedback. I am guessing that providers will use the data provided by the system. I don't believe that they will, for instance, track and report all the mail they receive to a central registry. Without this data Project Lumos fails.

In Project Lumos it seems that an individual may only send mail courtesy of a registered Email Service Provider.

If it is easy to register an ESP, one may be registered, then it may be used to send masses of spam until its reputation is destroyed. There is no info about how often this reputation is updated, and I doubt it could respond to a wave of spam as it is being sent. Because certificates are used to verify mail, and reputations will be expected to remain stable over time, I don't see this system as very responsive to quick "spam and run" style attacks.

If on the other hand it is difficult to register an ESP, then how am I to send mail from a domain that I own using my own equipment? Must I somehow prove that I have legitimate need to send mail, and a reason for not using an existing ESP? Must I be a member of the ESPC? This ambiguity may make the system itself open to abuse by either operators, or users.

My system avoids many of these problems by defaulting closed, and giving users choice. This, I believe, would be unacceptable to the good members of the ESPC.

John Fenley
www.Choicelist.com