Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Let pull mail replace push mail

2003-09-30 13:30:31
On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 09:36:32PM +0200, Dag Kihlman wrote:
pull system (where the mail client displays outgoing mails) will be a visual
proof that something is very wrong if the owner can see strange mails in the
outgoing arena. The user will see that he or she is hacked or infected and
remove the mails.

No. Our mailserver currently processes at least 100000 emails a day
that are injected by our customers (leased line and dialup) that use
our mailserver as an outgoing relay. Dialup customers because they have
to (e.g. queueing for unreachable hosts) LL customers because it is
convenient.
This means we would operate the mailstore where the messages would get
pulled. So they wouldn't notice anything. And: we have customers that
operate their own mailservers, completely independant.
Sometimes we get complaints that their mailserver is relay open. We call
them and they say: "we had problems for 2 weeks now" and only after we
call them and tell them that their mailserver is relay open and abused
they look at the logfiles and the queue and find some thousand messages
there. Otherwise they ignore it and think "this surely is the XYZ
thingy again" or "our ISP is doing some bullshit, that's why it is slow".

User don't care, regardless if they have the opportunity or not. So
a pull system will change nothing to the good in this regard.

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299