Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Let pull mail replace push mail

2003-09-29 19:01:38
For certain applications such as newsletters and blogs, RSS has been becoming popular as an alternative to email. Therefore, for specific cases "push" email might be better than "pull".

Bruce Brown wrote:

There are times (like times of civil oppression) where I may not want a means of tracking e'mail back to me...less I find the secret police at my door. I suspect that this will lead them right to me. I also noticed that you are encrypting and decrypting along the way...this can be quite a drain on resources at 100 msg/sec which is what some e'mail systems need to run at...there is also the little goodie that in some countries the mere encrypting of mail is a state crime -- again those "protocol" officials will show up at your door. Breaking the forward model of e'mail may have consequences that need careful thought with regard to protecting the ability of those that need e'mail as a voice of opposition to continue to use it. -- Bruce

    -----Original Message-----
    *From:* asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]*On Behalf
    Of *Dag Kihlman
    *Sent:* Tuesday, September 30, 2003 4:26 PM
    *To:* asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
    *Subject:* [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Let pull mail replace push mail

    SMTP is a push mail system, a great thing if you are a commander in
    a nuclear war, if you want to infect computers with viruses or if
    you want to send a couple of million mails about magic pills. Just
    throw the mail out on the Internet and let the recipients take all
    administrative costs.

    Today the Internet and computers are fast enough for a pull system.
    In short my proposal is the introduction of a new kind of mail
    program and mail system based on pull technology. Of course this is
    a drastic step but I think a drastic step is much better than
    numerous patches to a system ideal for misuse. I realise that the
    reader will be very sceptical and see numerous problems, but I hope
    that I have foreseen most problems and hopefully the most sever
    objections will be answered in this proposal.

    I will present my proposal while describing a mail from A to B.

    When A sends a mail it goes to the mailserver owned by A's Internet
    Service Provider where the mail is stored. A's mail client interacts
    with the ISP's mailserver and A can see any mail that has not
    reached the recipient. If the mail was sent by a virus or by a
    hacker A will be able to discover the intrusion and remove the mail.
    This means that viruses and hackers will not be able to hide and
    viruses can be stoped, which means that viruses' ability to multiply
    is greatly reduced.

    As soon as A's ISP's mailserver (mailserver A) receives the mail a
    notification is sent to B's ISP's mailserver (mailserver B).
    Mailserver B replies with a random encryption key and Mailserver A
    encryptes the mail, stores it and delets the encryption key.

    The notofication message from Mailserver A contains Mailserver A's
    IP-address, a mail identification number, a password, A's name and
    email address and the mail subject. Each piece of information is too
    short to be used for profitable spamming and it will be sent in
    UTF-8 format making it easy to scan and validate.

    When B connects to Mailserver B the mailserver will pass the
    notification to B's mail client together with the encryption key. B
    can filter the notification. When the mail is opened B's mail client
    connects to Mailserver A using the IP-address, the mail id and the
    password in the notification. Since the IP-address must be valid any
    other certificate or verification is unnecessary. When the mail is
    received the encryption key is used to decrypt it and a new
    filtering can be made.

    As soon as the mail is delivered it will be removed from Mailserver
    A. If B wants to share the mail among several computers B must save
    it on Mailserver B.

     From a programmer's point of view my proposal is no difficult task.
    The problem is that it is a huge revolution in the way mails are
    treated. However it can co-exist with SMTP for a while since a
    mailserver which supports the new system will be able to store a
    SMTP mail and create a notification on the fly. It is also possible
    for a mailserver to detect what kind of mail client the receiver
    has. If the mailclient does not support the new system the
    mailserver can pass the message the old way.

    I hope that I have not troubled you with an unrealistic suggestion
    and I am eager to hear any comments.