6. Proposal - Sender Pays - Article (was Re: [Asrg] ziff-davis editorial on sender-pays)

2003-09-30 23:16:31
david nicol wrote:
Security Supersite Editor Larry Seltzer argues
against sender-pays as intractably complex:

NOTE: I changed the subject as per the posting guidelines

To summarize the article, the following problems apply to sender-pays:

1. The Internet is global - "So implementing Sender Pays would require an international treaty".
2. "Micropayments remain a problem."
3. "Payment systems would have to be set up so that innocent parties wouldn't be stuck covering the cost of other persons' e-mails. Probably everyone would have to pay some amount in advance to cover the mail we might send." 4. "by adding a cost to a message, Sender Pays would certainly impact the free e-mail business. Such services would have to decide whether to pass the costs along or pick up the tab." 5. "Here's another interesting problem: allegations have been made that there are Internet worms and other attacks that create an open proxy for spammers on an infected system" - "While this particular form of hijacking is built on old-fashioned SMTP, it would still suggest that Sender Pays will require that we first solve the open proxy problem—yet another difficult issue."

Perhaps someone here wants to address them?