[Asrg] 4.a Taxonomy - Classification of messages

2003-10-08 14:52:32
IMHO it would be useful if we could create some sort of classification
of emails. Within this classification it would be possible to define
policies. These could be used for something like a combination of e.g.
P3P (http://www.w3.org/P3P/) and uce/ube/address policies companies
stick too. So a webpage that allows to enter a email address could say:
   "We strictly stick to classification 3.2.2"

To provide some meat for a dicussion here are my thoughts:

1. private email
   1. a message from a person I know (or not)
      the content is non commercial and has private character
2. targetted non-bulk email
   1. to private
      1. commercial
         1. solicited (e.g. your contract ends, here's a offer for a new one)
         2. unsolicited
            who are you and where did you get my address from.
            "a good friend of you gave us your address because he thinks
             this might be also useful for you"
      2. non-commercial
   2. to company
      1. solicited
         1. customer contact
         2. solicitation of an offer
      2. unsolicited
         1. commercial
         2. charitable (our school needs PCs, you have a computer
            store, maybe you have some elder PCs you can donate)
         3. non-commercial (can you send me a giveaway, I collect pins)
3. bulk email
   1. discussion lists
      1. opt-in
      2. double opt-in
   2. announcement lists (newsletters)
      1. opt-in
      2. double opt-in
      3. opt-out (working information provided in message)
      4. probably opt-out (no information provided in message, contact sender)
      5. bounce handling
      6. neither 1.-5.
         1. existing sender contact
         2. faked sender contact
   3. one time mailings
      1. info from a business partner
      2. info targetted to business but no business partner (considered useful)
         e.g.: companies that sell various goods get email from a new
         company whether they are interested to sell their new product
      3. info not targetted to business from out of the wild
         1. commercial
         2. charitable (please support WHO activity for hungry children)
         3. non-commercial (can you send me a giveaway, I collect pins)
4. automated messages/answers *1
   1. administrative (DSN)
      1. failure notices
      2. delay warnings
      3. confirm receipt
         1. requested (X-Confirm-Receipt)
         2. unrequested (e.g. help desk systems that ACK receipt of incident)
      3. confirm reading
   2. autoresponders
      1. out of office / vacation
      2. address change
      3. challenges (C/R systems)
   3. virus notifications
      1. for viri that don't fake senders
      2. for viri that fake senders
   4. email robots
      - document retrieval
      - mailingslist management ((un-)subscribe, moderate)
      - ftp-mailers

*1  see also
    http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-moore-auto-email-response-04.txt

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299