Re: [Asrg] 0. General - AT&T Whitelists

2003-10-22 07:25:49
At 9:56 AM -0400 10/22/03, Daniel Feenberg wrote:
The letter is quite confused, but read closely, and applying some common
sense, it looks like they are building a list of smtp servers in ATT
address space, or address space served by AT&T as the ISP, and that only
those servers will be allowed to SEND smtp mail via port 25. So unless
ATTBI is your ISP, you are unaffected, except to the extent that this
reduces spam from ATTBI sources.

First of all, it's corporate AT&T, not ATTBI (which is now Comcast anyway).  But no, I don't think so.  Some people have raised that point on Nanog, but there's no confirmation.  And other's are claiming that they already can't send mail to AT&T proper.  Also, note this line:

What AT&T is asking is for you to help AT&T to restrict incoming mail
to just our known and trusted sources (e.g., business partners, clients
and customers).

--
Kee Hinckley
http://www.messagefire.com/         Next Generation Spam Defense