Re: 0. General - Spam survey [was Re: [Asrg] Help with academic research survey.]

2003-11-21 18:06:37
On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 05:12:07PM -0500, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
I agree.  The problem may be that people forget, but the solution
isn't to rant against those people.  It's to realize that that is a
fact of life, and make it so people don't have to use their memories;
but to rely on tools, records, and methods that (hopefully) come
into play without always having to specifically be aware of them.

This methods exists in the very medium they used to subscribe.
It's called email and is delivered in form of a notification
message, containing a confirmation of the subscription, a description
of the list and detailed help/unsubscribe information. The problem is
they throw it away and I don't think any other "tool" or "record" will
be of more success as they will throw it away, also.

If they sign a contract to get some yellow press magazines each month they
keep the contract, because it costs money. If they subscribe to a mailing
list they don't, as it doesn't cost them money (usually). If they no longer
want to be part of the mailing list they cry "spam spam", because that's
currently more conveniant than to read the header, find the
        <mailto:asrg-request(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org?subject=unsubscribe>
and unsubscribe themself.

Spam is trendy and /the/ bad guy, so serious mailing list managers
(humans) are willing to spend a lot of time and effort to not to be
called spammers and that is what those people currently abuse. I've seen
spam complaints from people that had received the weekly newsletter for
two years after double opt-in and then cried "spam" and "I never subscribed
to this".

        \Maex

--
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299