RE: [Asrg] Re: [Politech] Congress finally poised to vote on anti -spam bill [sp]

2003-11-21 21:27:30
Yeah, Yeah dictionary attacks...

The key is that the search space is actually thinly populated enough to make
dictionary attack hard. Most usernames are 6 characters or more, many
include numbers, that is about 26^6 worth of search space per domain. Of
course this is not evenly populated, but the odd thing is that the usernames
turn out to be more random than the average password. This is because random
is not unguessable. Many usernames are surnames, many are compounds of
initial plus surname, only a relative handfull are commonly used names and
those tend to get grabbed fast. so you have a pretty big search space,
millions of possibilities and that for each one of fifty million domains.

The same does not hold for do-not-call lists. The problem there is that
something like 80% of the numbers available at active exchanges are already
allocated. Most of the stock of unused numbers are on exchanges that have
not yet been allocated. Since something like 30% of subscribers sign up for
do not call the result is that dictonary attacks are easy.

Also we add out of service addresses that get spammed anyway to the list. So
the list is not an accurate way to find out if an address is in service or
not. Alan knows quite a few addresses that get spammed that are invalid.