Re: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - depracate all list/bulk mailing and changeto RSS

2003-11-30 13:25:20
Bill Pease wrote:
 >Email is being abused as a broadcast medium.  By deprecating all mass
 >mailings, and going RSS (i.e. pull feeds), we will cut the rug out from
 >under the feet of so-called "legitimate bulk e-mailers".  Such a thing
 >will no longer exist by definition.  They will stick out like sore
 >thumbs.  Legitimate communities of interest can use RSS or internal
 >usenet feeds or web-bords or whatever.

To recommend that "legitimate communities of interest" abandon their current communication practices and switch to a distribution mechanism that has virtually no market penetration seems as extreme to me as attempting to redesign SMTP from the ground up to cure the spam problem.

RSS feeds have a long way to go before legitimate email publishers (such as all of my company's clients - member-based organizations like AFL-CIO, Public Broadcasting System, American Red Cross - would be willing to abandon push email for pull news aggregators.

Would email publishers be willing to pursue the "pull" approach to the extend that they are willing to sit down and work out the different issues involved? Or is "pull" currently a "non-starter" in those communities?

Yakov

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Why are both drug addicts and computer aficionados both called users?" (Clifford Stoll)
-------