Re: [Asrg] Re: 6. Proposals: LMTP proposals]]

2003-12-01 11:09:28
Adding security in one are of the network changes the cost-benefit
ratio for attacks in other areas of the network.  This is a very
different statement than what you made.

It seems you have misunderstood me - this is exactly what I was saying.
If LMAP (or something like that) gets adopted, spammers will change their
strategy to stay in business.  One of the strategies not affected by
LMAP is the use of compromised machines - therefore I fear that we will
see an increase in their use in the future.

In other words, widespread implementation of LMAP (which would be a good
thing) would lead to more compromised machines (which would be a bad
thing) ;-)

 Tough sh*t for them.

Nice to see how concerned you are about security.

By the same argument, I shouldn't put locks or an alarm in my house,
because that encourages thieves to go after my neighbour, instead of
me.

Now this is just stupid.  I am not arguing that something like LMAP
should not be implemented....quite the contrary - I would love to see
something like that widely adopted.  All I am saying is that by itself,
it may not have much effect on the overall spam volume - the spammers
will switch to other methods, and to handle those we need different
solutions.

--
Fridrik Skulason   Frisk Software International   phone: +354-540-7400
Author of F-PROT   E-mail: frisk(_at_)f-prot(_dot_)com       fax: