RE: [Asrg] 0. General -- the state of play

2003-12-01 16:51:34

Please bear with us for some time as we try to move this forward.

Sorry Yakov I did not get this far before shooting off my "to poll or not to
poll"

I will wait to see what you shake out of the bushes first

Regards
Chris

-----Original Message-----
From: asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:asrg-admin(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org]On Behalf Of Yakov
Shafranovich
Sent: Tuesday, December 02, 2003 9:32 AM
To: Alan DeKok
Cc: asrg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [Asrg] 0. General -- the state of play

Alan DeKok wrote:
"Eric S. Raymond" <esr(_at_)thyrsus(_dot_)com> wrote:

  >>  We're being distracted by stuff that (I think) is less important
than putting an IETF stamp on *some* LMAP design.  I have my own
preferences but I'm not going to push them here.  The point is we
need to have a road forward.

  <shrug> There is significant opposition to doing *anything*; with
the excuse that the proposal (whatever it is) is not perfect, or will
cost too much to deploy, or that it hasn't been demonstrated to be
useful, etc.

  There is so much opposition to LMAP related solutions that I'm
skeptical if it (or any proposal) will ever be approved by anyone.
I'm still involved in ASRG, because I have the naive belief that we
can do *something* about the problem, other than sticking our
collective heads in the sand.

We are trying to re-organize and move the group forward. While it may
seem that no useful activity is going forth, we are working actively
behind the scenes to make things happen. We are hoping to reorganize the
group along the lines of a multiple subgroups, each focuses on a
specific task, and consisting of a small number of a participants that
can work effectively together away from the noise of the main list. We
are also working on getting different industry players involved, so they
can contribute. We also are working on setting up or figuring out a way
on how to be able to evaluate proposals.

Please bear with us for some time as we try to move this forward.

Yakov
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
-------